Recently the boys and I had a craft day and made our own bath crayons. KC has been watching Creative Galaxy an art based cartoon put out by Amazon’s Fire TV. Lately his favorite episode has been about making bath crayons, and when he asked to make some of his own I just couldn’t refuse!
This project was somewhat messy but totally worth doing, especially when the goal of the project is to get clean at the end!
How To Make Your Own Homemade Bath Crayons!
1 bar of white soap, I used Dove but you can use anything you have on hand.
1 cup warm water (you wont use it all)
Liquid food coloring
Bowls – you’ll need one bowl for each color you want to make
Cheese grater – to grade the soap into little shavings.
Molds – we used cookie cutters, but you can use anything you want as a mold including just using your hands.
Forks – for mashing and mixing your soap crayons together
Paper towels – to help contain the mess!
- Grate your bar of soap. You will need about 1 cup of soap shavings per color. This is the part of the process that takes the longest.
- Separate the soap into different bowls if you plan to make more than one color. One bar of soap made 2 colors.
- Add 2 tablespoons of warm water per 1 cup of soap shavings. At this point you will also want to add your food coloring a couple drops at a time until you reach your desired color.
- Mix the soap shavings and liquids until it forms a thick dough. If you need to add a little more water you can do so but just a little at a time.
- Form your soap dough into soap crayons using cookie cutters or other molds.
- Once you have all your bath crayons molded you can leave them out to dry and harden, this will take about 24 hours. You can also put them in the freezer for about an hour. Putting them in the freezer helps them harden quicker and it is what we did with ours.
Looking for other fun family activities? Check out these great ideas!
January’s Five Fun Family Activities
Three Fun Free Apps For Kids
Follow me: @2KidsAndABudget on Twitter | TwoKidsAndABudget on Facebook